04/18/2011 12:31 Filed in: Breads
This is my favorite home baked bread - hands down - bar none!
This bread is flexible enough to wrap around a brat or hot dog without breaking. Since this is baked in a jelly roll pan, it's one big piece of...flat bread. [Clever name, huh?]
For use with a hotdog or brat, the piece needs to be cut a bit larger than a slice for a sandwich.
As you can see Peg has also made hamburger buns as well as a focaccia-style bread (see below).
Peg started with this recipe and tweaked it a bit. The Scintilla gives the bread an earthy, roasted flavor.
1 cup GF brown rice flour (Authentic Foods Superfine Brown Rice Flour)
½ cup tapioca starch (Bob's Red Mill)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 Tablespoon instant yeast
½ teaspoon salt
¾ c. water
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-3 Tablespoons sweet rice flour (for dusting pan/hands)
1. Mix together all dry ingredients (not the sweet rice flour that's used for dusting).
2. In a heavy mixer, combine wet ingredients (water, vinegar, oil, and eggs).
3. Slowly add dry ingredients to well blended wet ingredients.
4. Beat on medium/medium high speed for 4 minutes.
5. Dust a large jelly roll (15 x 11) pan with flour (or oil bottom of pan and lightly dust oiled pan).
6. Scrape dough onto oiled/dusted pan and press as thinly as possible. (fill pan)
7. Using a fork, tap indentations across the entire dough.
8. Place dough in a warm spot, allow to rest/rise for 35-40 minutes.
9. Preheat oven to 425F.
10. Bake for 11-15 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.
11. It wil come out of the oven with a slight crust that will go away as the bread cools. Allow the bread to cool 15-30 minutes before using. It will become flexible and soft.
12. Cut into large pieces to use as a folded sandwich bread or as individual slices.
Note: Instead of 1 cup of brown rice flour, try using any combination of sorghum, millet, oat flour, almond flour. Just make sure it totals 1 cup.